Friday, December 27, 2013

Financier Pastries - A Mouthwatering Solution to Post Christmas Gift-giving!


Cookies well worth the Calories!


----A Postcard from New York Encore---

A quick and hassle free solution to after Christmas gift-giving woes...just pick up the nearest phone. If like me, the frantic Holiday pace does not end until New Year's Day, you still have some holiday gifts to purchase, this tiny French bakery could be your lifesaver. When this Postcard first appeared Financier had only two colorful shops; at last count, they now have ten beautiful patisseries around town. Find the one near you on their website, place your order, and pick up your delicious treats handsomely wrapped and ready to delight some lucky person. I thought you might enjoy this story written by Postcard's photographer about how we first stumbled upon the charming flagship store near Wall Street on a photo shoot a few years ago. From his description, you can almost taste the cookies ...my personal favorite, the macarons--the best outside Paris!

**********************************************


Dear Postcards from New York Reader,

Many of you will be shocked to learn that Jacqueline Cable has been trying to kill me for years. This conspiracy started during an early 1990's trip to Scotland (in preparation for a Golf Tour.) Jacqueline was determined to get into an ancient cathedral that happened to be closed. She was dragging me from locked door to locked door, pounding on them mercilessly, "Joseph, there must be a caretaker or rector somewhere, come on, they'll hear me knocking."

To my utter surprise, when I looked down I realized we were walking on big flat grave markers, overgrown with moss and lichen. A moment later, BAM! I was flat on my back, cracked a 17th century grave marker, (sorry Mr. Ross MacDonald), and in utter pain...

Fast forward to a hot day in July in New York City on a Postcards from New York photo shoot; Jacqueline raced between landmark buildings and monumental sculpture, this time around lower Manhattan, demanding I keep up. I was ready to call it a day. We had been running around since early morning and I was very pleased with the abundance of photos waiting in my camera.

"Joseph, come on, one more waterfall, just one - I promise..." she prodded. Suddenly walking on the uneven 18th century pavement, I thought of Scotland, and several other near death experiences. However, my fear was unwarranted and we made it to the "last" waterfall, and guess what? My perseverance was rewarded. Just behind Chase Plaza and Jean Dubuffet's sculpture group, "Group of Four Trees", I found Financier Patisserie. My bonus for a long day's work.

I walked in from the unrelenting heat of the day to discover a cornucopia of wonderful baked jewels. I am a self confessed cookie-aholic; I love cookies! They remind me of my German and Italian grandmothers, Oma and Nonna. Oma always said, "It's not a complete day if you don't reward yourself with a cookie." When in Sicily, Nonna spoke to us, letting us know she loved us, with the most amazingly thin butter cookies, almond horns and pinolis. While she spoke no English, and my sisters and I struggled in deficient Italian, "cookie" was universally understood.

There, guarded behind glass, (bullet proof I am sure), in all its glory, was a plate of almond horn cookies! And look, a jewel encrusted lynzar tart - my mother's favorite - ooooo, and macarons - fat and fresh in pastel colors and delicate flavors! WAIT what is that? Thin toasted almond slices on a rich bead of swirling dark chocolate. The sight of these cookies brought me back to my childhood, to my grandmother's kitchens and the espresso bars of Italy. Needless to say I left with a wonderful lime-green striped box full of these divine cookies to sample at home later.

As I paid the cashier, Jacqueline called, "Joseph, come on, I need a picture of just one more fountain, it's not a waterfall, I promise." OK, I said, no more waterfalls, just one more fountain..."

Go Eat Something Good!

Joseph Knight

Address to Remember: Financier Patisserie, 35 Cedar Street (between Pearl and William), New York, NY 10005, 212-952-3838, http://www.financierpastries.com/

Directions: From Times Square MTA 2 or 3 to Wall St. walk west to Pearl St. and north to Cedar.



  • If you like today's issue, why not become a subscriber to Postcards from New York? To start receiving your own copy of Postcards each week in your email inbox, click here and enter your email address on the far right side of the webpage. Be sure to check your email in-box for a confirmation email, then just click where indicated to activate your subscription.  Or, forward this e-mail to a friend so they can sign-up to receive Postcards from New York as well.


  • You can also choose to receive Postcards From New York as an RSS feed. Click on the small orange button (subscribe as a Reader) on the right side of the webpage to activate the RSS. Then you will receive new "Postcards" on your email homepage, and you will have all past "Postcards" archived at your fingertips.  Be sure to check your email in-box for a confirmation email, then just click where indicated to activate your subscription.




  • Photo by Joseph Knight

    © Copyright 2007-13 The Cable Group

    No comments: