Sunday, September 7, 2008

Villiage Stories V: Sant Ambroeus Sunday Brunch

Buono uovo oltimo!*


Dear Postcards from New York Reader,

I perused the menu and read "uovo sodo," and wondered could it be?

The perfect organic soft boiled egg surrounded by geometically arranged triangles of toast arrived and suddenly I was transformed back to my childhood vacations at my Nona's kitchen table in Corleone, Sicily. Yes, home of the "Godfather." Family legend has it that my great-grandfather was the Godfather, but that story is for another time.

My sisters and I would joke in our very deficient Italian with our grandmother, calling her eggs, Bono Ouvo (good egg) and greedily sopping up the rich golden orange yoke with thick slices of heavenly fresh baked bread.

It's been almost three decades since I've experienced the joy of eating such a simple egg meal, but "Sant Ambroeus" delivered; they also offer other incredible edibles (see below) to make it the perfect Sunday brunch after a morning walk around the Village.

I recommend a table outside - it will feel like you're in Rome, in Trastavere at a small local cafe off the main streets.






Crostino Milanese, scrambled eggs served with vine ripe tomatoes and slivers of parmesan, the salad is perfectly dressed with extra virgin olive oil and lemon.






I paninetti all'olio con mortadella, fresh baked rolls drizzled with olive oil, thin slices of cured sausage and provolone cheese. Jealous? Take a bite!







Il marinaio, crabmeat, shrimp and avocado - heavenly!





Le foccaccine con parma prosciuito e mozzarella, a flaky foccaccia stuffed with thin slices of ham and a chuck of mozzarella. This was a favorite! Wish I could eat it off the screen!





Make sure to save room for dessert, this ricotta cheese cake is a MUST!

Go eat something good!

Joseph Knight
For Postcards from New York

Address to Remember: Sant Ambroeus, Espresso Bar, 259 West 4th Street, New York, NY, 212-604-9254, http://www.santambroeus.com/

Directions: From Times Square MTA 1 to Christopher Street, walk north on West 4th Street to Restaurant.


*A very good egg


Photos by Joseph Knight


©Copyright 2007-8 The Cable Group

No comments: